Name: Parsley leaves / Parsley seeds ( parsley plant )
Botanical name: Petroselinum crispum
What is Parsley?
Parsley is an herbaceous flowering plant known scientifically as Petroselinum crispum. It belongs to the genus of Apiaceae.
The origin of this herb is the central Mediterranean countries and Europe. Parsley can be used as herb, spice, and vegetable.
Parsley is a very common element in culinary in Europe, Middle East and America
Parsley is one of the most common food garnishes. It can be presented as a fresh green vegetable with meals. Parsley is widely used in central Europe, Eastern Europe, south Europe, and western Asia.
Parsley roots are also used widely for cooking in Europe. It is considered as one of their best snacks and vegetables. They add it in making soups, stews, and casseroles.
Parsely contains leaves with rosette form and length of 10-25 cm. It also has many leaflets of 1-3 cm long.
Parsley, fresh Nutritional value / 100 grams
Energy / 151 kJ (36 kcal)
Sugars 0.85 grams
Dietary fiber / 3.3 grams
Vitamin A equiv.
beta - Carotene
421 μg (53%)
5054 μg (47%)
Thiamine (B1) 0.086 milligrams (7%)
Riboflavin (B2) 0.09 milligrams (8%)
Niacin (B3) 1.313 milligrams (9%)
Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.4 milligrams (8%)
Vitamin B6 0.09 milligrams (7%)
Folate (B9) 152 micrograms (38%)
Vitamin C 133 milligrams (160%)
Vitamin E 0.75 milligrams (5%)
Vitamin K 1640 micrograms (1562%)
Calcium 138 milligrams (14%)
Iron 6.2 milligrams (48%)
Magnesium 50 milligrams (14%)
Manganese 0.16 milligrams (8%)
Phosphorus 58 milligrams (8%)
Potassium 554 milligrams (12%)
Sodium 56 milligrams (4%)
Zinc 1.07 milligrams (11%)
Units (μg = micrograms • mg = milligrams/IU = International units)
The uses of Parsley in kitchens:
Parsley is widely used to make Tabbouleh salad.
We can eat curly leaves of parsley as garnish.
We can add fresh parsley on many delicious dishes such as potato, rice, fish, fried chicken, lamb, goose, steaks, and meat or vegetable stews.
The healthy benefits of Parsley:
1. Parsley ( Parsley plant / Parsley seeds / Parsley leaves ) helps to protect from many diseases such as aging, cancer, heart disease, neurodegenerative diseases and eye disorders due to its rich content of Flavonoid Antioxidants.
2. Oil of Parsley ( Parsley plant / Parsley seeds / Parsley leaves ) helps to promote immune system of the body and protect from cancer due to its unique components which include limonene, myristicin, eugenol and alpha-thujene.
3. Parsley can be used to increase urine discharge and treat bloating.
4. Parsley can treat inflammation of the kidneys and bladder, gravel, stones, and urine retention.
5. Leaves and roots of parsley are useful for curing disorders of liver and spleen.
6. Juice of parsley help to calm the blood vessels.
7. Parsley is very effective in evicting poisons of water, excessive mucosal substances, and flatulence.
8. Parsley ( Parsley plant / Parsley seeds / Parsley leaves ) helps to cure swollen and enlarged glands.
Growing parsley seeds:
We can plant parsley seeds indoors and outdoors.
Seeding Parsley ( Parsley plant / Parsley seeds / Parsley leaves ) indoor takes about three weeks or more to grow.
To plant parsley outdoor, we sow the seeds of parsley ( Parsley plant / Parsley seeds / Parsley leaves ) on surface of soil then irrigate the soil.
How to grow parsley?
The growth of parsley ( Parsley plant / Parsley seeds / Parsley leaves ) needs organic, rich and well-drained soil.
It's recommended to plant parsley ( Parsley plant / Parsley seeds / Parsley leaves ) in areas of full sun with partial shade.
Parsley plant ( Parsley seeds / Parsley leaves ) needs only watering or weeding.
How to harvest parsley?
As soon as the parsley leaves / parsley seeds appear you can harvest it.
In case of planting parsley in cold areas, we can harvest it throughout the year.
It's preferable to harvest parsley in the morning to get the optimal flavor.
The value and uses of Parsley for Ancient Egyptians:
Ancient Egyptians used parsley in the treatment of many diseases including kidney disease and urinary tract.
They used wreaths of parsley to crown their victorious heroes and soldiers.
They used parsley tea to reduce fever, ease menstruation, expel gases and excrete urine.
More related articles: